Visiting Detroit - What to See and Do
(Detroit Metro Airport DTW, Michigan - MI, USA)
Detroit is a lively, exciting city full of historical, cultural and entertainment attractions for visitors to enjoy. It is home to many wonderful restaurants, fashionable shops, theaters and a thriving music scene.
Detroit is known as 'Motor City' on account of its being the one-time home of a large automobile industry and it is here that Henry Ford pioneered his revolutionary assembly line production techniques. In turn, the Motor City moniker inspired the name of the Motown record label - one of the most famous labels in popular music.
However, Detroit has much more to offer than just music and motor cars and the city has undergone a significant social and economic revival in recent years.
Ten things you must do in Detroit
- Take a guided walking tour of the downtown area, a bus tour of the city or a boat tour on the Detroit River, taking in some of the city's highlights.
- Visit the Detroit Institute of Arts, America's fifth-largest museum containing works by Picasso, Van Gogh, Rembrandt and many other masters.
- Listen to top musicians perform at the Ford Montreux Jazz Festival and the Detroit Electronic Music Festival, the world's biggest free music festival. Both are held annually during the summer months.
- Step back in time at one of Detroit's excellent museums including the Motown Historical Museum and the African American History Museum.
- Shop till you drop at Detroit's department stores, fashionable boutiques and markets, including the huge Eastern Market.
- Learn about the importance of the automobile industry in Detroit at the Automotive Hall of Fame and the Henry Ford Museum.
- Escape from the hustle and bustle of the city at one of Detroit's parks or gardens such as Belle Isle, which is home to a zoo, aquarium and more.
- Marvel at some of the city's wonderful architecture, such as the David Whitney House and the Art Deco Fischer Building.
- Take a trip to the nearby city of Ann Arbor, a popular tourist destination with many cultural attractions and a thriving entertainment scene.
- Dine at one of Detroit's many superb restaurants. Afterwards, sample the city's vibrant nightlife at one of its lively bars or nightspots.